Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Carousel Center and the Galleries of Syracuse











The top seven pictures were shot at the Carousel Center in Syracuse;
the bottom three, at the Galleries of Syracuse, downtown.
All photos by Larry Hoyt - copyright 2008 Larry Hoyt.
Click on a picture to enlarge that image.
==================================

I don't go to malls much.
In fact, on my very limited budget, I try to do as little shopping as possible.
But I recently did something that I haven't done in a long, long time -- I went to a matinee of a Woody Allen film. In this case, the film, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona," was fairly entertaining and perhaps even a bit thought provoking. There were some slow spots in the film, but it also had some wonderful moments and some excellent performances.
Practially everywhere I go these days, I bring one of my cameras with me.
On this day, I brought my smallest camera, the pocket-sized Traveller DC-6900 - a basic digital camera that had cost me around $100.
I've been surprised at the fairly good quality of the images this little camera can capture.

I'm becoming addicted to taking pictures, practically everyday.
There's always something to see; there's always something to record.
Sometimes, I get lucky and a worthwhile picture appears.
I guess that's one of the reasons I'm doin' this photo blog.

My travels on this particular day took me to the cinemas at the Carousel Center, and also to the Galleries in downtown Syracuse.

The Carousel Center, on the north side of Syracuse, at the south end of Onondaga Lake, is fairly modern, stylish and colorful, but it's still just a great big decorated mall.

The Galleries of Syracuse is much more bare bones, but there's something about the framing of the glass roof at the Galleries that has always kind of impressed me.

For the most part, the architecture in Syracuse reflects the basic values of Syracuse.
There are some charming old buildings and some interesting attempts at modern design, but most of the buildings in Syracuse fit well into the envelop of conventionality.
Still, as has been said before, an awful lot depends on how one looks at it.

No comments: