Thursday, August 14, 2008

I Dreamed I Saw Abe Lincoln, High On SU Hill




===================================================
photo and photo treatment copyright 2008 Larry Hoyt
-- click on photo to enlarge image --
===================================================
Artists have been painting, tinting and manipulating photographic images since the dawn of photography.

But the use of PhotoShop in more recent years has opened the flood gates of photo manipulation. I think just about every photographer who uses PhotoShop or some similar software, at one time or another, goes on a manipulating binge, experimenting with every blur, distortion and artistic effect available on the software's pallette.

I have not been addng much special effect manipulation to my photos lately. For the most part, the images I've been showing are pretty close to the original as seen by the camera.

But these photos I shot of the statue of Abe Lincoln, seated in the courtyard in front of the Maxwell School at Syracuse University, needed something extra.
I had shot the statue at dusk, using flash most of the time, which illuminated the statue in a kind of eerie fashion. I later added some cloud effects to the background sky, which was perfectly clear, but bland, in the original.

No comments: