Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Photo Abstractions


==============================



=================================

top image - Latino Dancer - copyright 2008 LarryHoyt
second image - Photo Abstraction 1- original photo of Larry Hoyt by Andrew Vilkas, used by permission; photo abstraction by Larry Hoyt - copyright 2008 Larry Hoyt and Andrew Vilkas

================================

When I was a wee lad, I remember my mom bringing me to several museums in New York City, where we lived at the time.

I still have a memory of seeing the Family of Man photography exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art, and also,for some reason, I remember being blown away by one of Dali's beautiful but hauntingly surreal paintings that depicted Christ floating in the air above a very modern looking cross.

I have done a lot more photography than painting in my life, but... I have done a fair amount of painting. And, with PhotoShop and digitial photography, I lately find myself wanting to experiment more and more, combining my photography with some elements of abstract expressionism.

Above are two recent works. The top is of a flamenco dancer at the Latino Festival held here in Syracuse, New York. When I first started to use PhotoShop on this image, all I wanted to do was touch some things up here and there to make a better realistic image.

But one thing led to another, and before I knew it, I was experimenting with this effect and that effect, with this color and with that color. Towards the end of this experimentation, I felt the spirit of artist Gustav Klimt enter the room.

The second work began with a photo that Andrew Vilkas shot of me on my bike. Andrew mentioned that he didn't like the background in the original photo, and I had to agree with him. So I decided to change it, and then change that, and then change it once again. Before I knew it, I had created this hybrid image - Photo Abstraction 1 is what I call it.

I'm sure I'm neither the first nor the last person to be experimenting with this painterly use of PhotoShop.
All I can say is - I hope folks can dig it.

No comments: